The memorial hall was erected in 1923 at West Ryton, with funds donated by the workmen of Emma Colliery at a cost of approximately £3,300. The actual unveiling ceremony took place on Saturday afternoon, 22nd March 1924. The building is of brick and stone and is built on a site given as a gift by the Stella Coal Company, facing the main Hexham highway. Accommodation for 500 persons is provided in the main hall. There are two ante-rooms, one of which seats 60 people. The bulk of the money to erect the building was obtained from the Emma Colliery Miners Welfare Fund.
The architects were W. Dixon and Son, of Newcastle and Riding Mill, and the principal contractors were Charlton and Sons, of Crawcrook.
The bronze tablet which adorns the outer wall of the hall, was erected in memory of those workmen and workmen’s sons who lost their lives during the Great War. It bears the names of fifty eight men. Stained glass windows commemorating the war were placed at the front of the hall overlooking the bronze tablet.
The arrangements for the ceremony were carried out by the memorial committee, with Mr. George Hardy, as chairman (he lost a son who fell in action), Mr. Sidney Scott, secretary, and Mr. George Armstrong, treasurer.
The Stella Collieries Workmen’s Band headed the procession through the villages of Crawcrook and Emmaville prior to commencement of the proceedings, over which Mr. George Hardy, presided.
Lieutenant Colonel F. R. Simpson unveiled the bronze tablet and spoke of it being a privilege to carry out such a task. Mr. W Dixon (architect) presented a key for the hall to Mr. William Whiteley M.P. The Rector of Ryton, The Rev. C. B. R. Hunter, said prayers to dedicate the memorial. The Rev. J. G. Soulsby, Primitive Methodist Minister, of Blaydon, also spoke of his admiration for the men of the colliery who went off to war, and of erecting such a magnificent hall as a memorial.
Following the end of the 1939-45 conflict, another twenty three names of those men from Crawcrook who lost their lives were added to the memorial.
BlaydonCourier, 29th March 1924.